marketing

Harvest Moon 64

 Alex's Thoughts

It might be one of my favorite games of all time. You wake up every moring at the same time, 6am.  You eat your rice cakes and you get to work for the day.  There are many different paths that you can chose in the game. You can work all day and have tons of money, or you can hit on women and fish all day and have nothing to show for it.  This game is really just a simple simulation of life.  You have to farm and forage to earn money and you can raise animals like cows, sheep, and chickens.  If I am feeling really angry for no real reason I will chase the chickens with my axe (Helen: I lol'd at the mental image of this).  I never catch them so don't worry.
 You can't lose and you can't starve, you can only not win until you do everything you are supposed to do.  It really is the American dream, but made in Japan.  I am American and I would bleed on the flag to keep its stripes red  but I don't know if I want the American dream.  I mean I get the wife, the car, the house with the white picket fence, maybe a couple of kids, but then what?  Do I just keep working to maintain what I have fearing loosing it all. Do I work into my 60's retire then just kinda wait to die?  Maybe I am just young and restless but I feel like I want more then just that, and not a "material" more either.  I just don't find much meaning in the American dream.  Or maybe it has changed into something greedy and excessive, that I no longer recognize   I would enjoy a easy life and having nice things--who wouldn't?--but I think I would be fine with out them as well.

Some times I wish that life could be as easy as Harvest Moon 64.

3 comments:

{ Ada } at: October 23, 2010 at 8:35 PM said...

I played the older Harvest Moons a lot :o Always raised cows and chickens but I HATED farming crops.

As for the American Dream, I'm not even American. But having a nice life and feeling guilty about said nice life is very common in my family. So it's not unheard of to question these things.

{ HSP } at: October 23, 2010 at 8:53 PM said...

The whole American Dream is nothing more than an ideal for traditionalists, in my opinion. There's nothing wrong with that but that ideal is not for some people.

Personally, I don't see myself getting married since the idea holds no value for me. Nor do I want kids either. Building my own home would be nice (part of the Australian dream really).

It's all about pursuing what makes you happy. And you have to keep on working for it even when you get to 60.

{ Coriander } at: October 24, 2010 at 4:55 AM said...

Living the American Dream makes me smile. . . I joke about it because I know it's something I'll never have.
But good lord. What I would give to work on a farm. . . The farm life seems so-- simple and-- happy. I love farm animals.
I. . . I feel this way with pokemon. ; A ;

Post a Comment